The story

History of ELK - History

History of ELK - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Elk II

(IX-116: dp. 14,600 (f.), 1. 441'6" b. 66'11"; dr. 28'4";
s. 10 k.; cpl. 103; a. 1 6", 1 3'; cl. Armadillo)

The second Elk (IX-116), a tanker was launched 6 November 1943 by California Shipbuiiding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., as William Winter for the Maritime Commission; sponsored by Mrs. H. Hall; delivered direct to the Navy 26 November 1943; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant W. T. Stannard, USNR, in command.

Elk sailed from San Pedro, Calif., 12 January 1944 for Kwajalein where she served from 19 February to 19 April as station tanker to fuel ships in the assault and occupation of the Marshalls. Mooring to Majuro, she fueled combatant ships at this base until June then carried petroleum products between Majuro, Kwajalein, and Eniwetok to support the Marianas operation. From 26 June she was based again on Majuro, providing fuel for destroyers of the Security Patrol who guarded the waters around the bypassed, enemy-held islands of Wotje, Mili, and Jaluit.

After a fueling assignment at Tarawa in September 1944, Elk reported to the advance fleet base at Ulithi 15 October and there began the vital task of fueling the ships of the fast-moving 3d and 5th Fleets for their far-ranging air and surface strikes against Japanese bases. In April 1945 she arrived at Okinawa to fuel the staunch destroyers of the radar picket line. When hostilities ceased, Elk was at Leyte preparing to sail with a convoy to Okinawa. In September she arrived at Sasebo, Japan, to serve in the occupation. Elk returned to the States in early 1946, was decommissioned at Norfolk 17 May 1946, and reverted to the Maritime Commission 20 May 1946.

Elk received one battle star for World War II service.


The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks

It All Began With the Jolly Corks. Starting as as a group of actors and entertainers bent on having fun AND avoiding a New York Excise tax in 1867 (Sundays were the ‘dry’ day), this convivial group called themselves the Jolly Corks (for a clever trick with corks they performed on the uninitiated to win rounds of drinks). That same year as membership grew, some members saw the vision to become more helpful in the community. Alas, two feuding factions split the group over different philosophies. Fortunately, the latter faction moved forward with their new ideals and in February of 1868, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was chartered–and with a great new spirit and direction, began to help Veterans, Scouting, Scholarships and more–wherever Charity, Justice and Brotherly Love were needed!

The Social Side of the Grand Lodge Convention (1936)

An article from the Elks Magazine describing the 1936 Grand Lodge Convention in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles Lodge #99 Newsletter, April, 1929

Newsletter of the Los Angeles Elks - April, 1929. (PDF format)

My Membership Card in the Elks, by Robert Barrett

An inspiring article titled "My Membership Card in the Elks," by Robert Barrett, chairman of the Good of the Order Committee, from the January, 1932 Elks Magazine.

An Authentic History of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (1910)

The first Elks History book by Charles Ellis, published in 1910. (PDF format, 63MB)

Charles Vivian Biography

A Charles Vivian biography, written by his widow.

Does Anyone Listen?

The ideals of the Elks by Brother Tom Williams of Raleigh Elks Lodge.

A Brief History of the Origins of the Order of Elks

The object of this brief History is to set forth the real facts of the Origin of the Order of ELKS.

The History of the Order of Elks

A reprinted story from the Massachusetts State Newspaper in the fall of 2003.

The Elks Uncorked

December 1980 | Volume 32, Issue 1

Past GERs

Photo gallery of every former GER going back to 1871.

Elks 11 O'clock Toasts

Where did the 11 O'clock toast come from? Here's the history of the toast as well as an archive of other Elks toasts.

Traditions and History of BPOE

The youth-oriented, charitable, and community service programs of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks are all-encompassing.


History of Elk Creek and The Farmhouse

Located in Southwest Virginia, Elk Creek was established in 1760 by settlers migrating down the Shenandoah Valley to an area that today is referred to as the Virginia Highlands. These early residents of the Elk Creek Valley were of Scottish descent and were drawn to the remoteness of the area.

The pictured historical marker tells the story of Caty Sage who in 1792 at the age of five was kidnapped by a horse thief seeking revenge upon her father and sold to members of the Cherokee Nation. Eventually, Caty assimilated into Native American culture and through forced migration, made her way to the Kansas Territory. In a strange twist of fate, Caty was reunited with her brother 56 years later. The legend has lived on in ballads and stories.

Grayson County was formed in 1793, from part of Wythe County. It was named for William Grayson, one of Virginia's first two senators. William and Rosamond Bourne came to the Knob Fork area on the New River in 1765. They found eight other families already living here. William Bourne was elected as first Clerk of the County, at the first court session that was held in a log barn located on the Bourne farm, near the present town of Fries.

In 1850, the county seat was moved from Old Town in the eastern part of the county to Independence, a more centrally located site. The first courthouse was built in Independence and served until 1904, when it was condemned. A new courthouse was completed by builder E.L.Robbins in 1908. Today, the Historic 1908 Courthouse functions as the art and cultural center of Grayson County.

The farmhouse

The Farmhouse at Elk Creek was built in the fall of 1914 by C.M. Poole and for years was operated as a dairy. Ownership passed from the Poole family and eventually the house fell into disrepair. One local story tells of a young boy following a cow into the vacant and empty house. Legend has it the cow made its way up to the second floor and out onto what at the time was a second story porch. Becoming startled by the bemused young man, the cow made a run for it, causing the upper level to collapse. The determined cow rode the falling porch to the ground and without missing a beat ran off the crumpling structure and into the pasture across the road. Other stories tell of the house being used to store hay and cure tobacco.

The home was restored and once again became a residence around 2005. Today, The Farmhouse at Elk Creek is an escape for one very fortunate family and their lucky friends. In addition, it serves as the headquarters for The Elk Creek Running Club whose members are varied and passionate.


The Railroad Brings Prosperity

The Company's officials knew that the Choctaw and Gulf Railroad was coming this way and determined that Elk City's present location would be an ideal spot for a town. On August 13, 1901, the Choctaw Railroad laid its last rail on the Choctaw route, connecting Elk City with the outside world. The first regular train service commenced seven days later and city folk rejoiced, predicting that the dugouts, claim shacks and prairie stables would soon disappear and be replaced by handsome residences, commodious barns, and granaries.

By January 1902, Elk City boasted more than 60 businesses and a population exceeding 1,000. Paving with bricks began in 1902 due to an effort from the many the city employed. Though not yet a year old, the town had become one of the largest in western Oklahoma. It boasted two hotels, many boarding houses, a church, two milling and elevator companies and two cotton gins.

* Excerpts taken from "Prairie Fire" a book published by the Western Oklahoma Historical Society and from information shared by Pat Sprowls, Former Director of the Elk City Carnegie Library. Photos courtesy of Mr. Don Nichols.


Firepit area facing southwest towards the mountains.

Elk are not only easy to spot in Rocky Mountain National Park but also when you stay at Alpine Trail Ridge Inn. Located just minutes from town and the entrance to the park, elk frequent our grounds, making them easy to spot from your hotel room. Our comfortable rooms offer a touch of the great outdoors mixed coupled with today’s modern amenities, and stunning mountain views.


History

Elk Falls

Elk Falls (which is only accessible via Staunton State Park) is located between the communities of Conifer and Bailey, southwest of Denver on highway 285. Elk Falls Ranch Subdivision, named for the waterfall just east of Lion's Head, was assembled and developed by Elmer and Sally Berg in the early to mid 1900's. Elk Falls Ranch was developed from ranch property in the 1950's and 60's. Most of the un-subdivided ranch property was later obtained by the State of Colorado and is now part of Staunton State Park. Elk Falls Subdivision is an upscale residential community spanning the border between Park and Jefferson counties. All property owners of Elk Falls Ranch subdivision are members of the Elk Falls Property Owners. Association (EFPOA) which oversees the roads, covenants, and other items of interest to the residents.

Articles about the history of Elk Falls.

History of Elk Falls Ranch

Initial access to the area came as a result of the discovery of gold in South Park in 1859 and the rush was on to reach the area. There were no roads at the time, only a few Indian trails. John Parmalee constructed the first road from Morrison to the Pine area along Turkey Creek in 1867. It was narrow and dangerous. In 1878, the first railroad reached Pine and Buffalo Creek and Leadville in 1879. It was one of the busiest rail lines in Colorado, connecting what were the two largest cities in Colorado at the time, Denver and Leadville. In the late 1800's the federal government gave away property in the area via land grants and the Homestead Act to individuals who agreed to live on and improve their land. Several individuals, including Anton Glassman, Richard Pomeroy, and Samuel Cunningham owned land in the area that would later become part of Elk Falls Ranch. In 1908 John C. Jensen, founder of the McCoy-Jensen Nursery in Morrison, purchased 320 acres from Charles Brown. Jensen added land from Samuel Cunningham and others and by the early 1920's owned a total of 2,200 acres. Elk Falls Ranch was developed by John Jensen and later expanded by Elmer and Sally Berg. After taking a train from Denver, Mr. Jensen would meet guests in Pine and take them by buggy up Elk Creek to his home. After his death in 1924, his Elk Falls property was inherited by his children including Alice (Sally) Jensen who married Elmer Berg, a Denver businessman. The Bergs consolidated and added to the Elk Falls property. In the 1930's and 1940’s the area was used, among other things, as a summer camp for boys and girls operated by the Denver Athletic Club. Elmer and Sally Berg also operated the Elk Falls Sportsmen’s Club which allowed member access to Elk Falls, Lion’s Head, hiking trails, fishing, several cabins, and a lodge with slot machines and a restaurant.

The Elk Falls Ranch subdivision

The first attempt at subdividing part of the Elk Falls Ranch property, called Elk Falls Park, sold only four or five lots. The 100' x 100' lots were arranged on a rectangular grid with straight access roads – an arrangement that worked well on paper but didn't work very well across the hills and valleys of Elk Falls Ranch where building straight access roads was impossible. Elk Falls Block 1, which overlaid most of the original Elk Falls Park subdivision, was subdivided in 1959 and Blocks 2 and 3 were subdivided during the next few years. Following the deaths of Elmer and later Sally Berg, the remaining Elk Falls Ranch property was acquired by the Elk Falls Development Company which owned and maintained the property for approximately another 40 years. In 2006 they sold the "upper ranch" north and west of the subdivision including slightly over 1000 acres to the state (using lottery funds) to become part of Staunton State Park. The "lower ranch" south of the subdivision including approximately 400 acres was sold in 2008 to Drayton and Vera Dunwody who renamed it Lower Lake Ranch. The Elk Falls Ranch subdivision residential area includes approximately 350 acres of land.

Suggested ADDITIONAL Reading

The Secrets of Elk Creek: Shaffers Crossing, Staunton State Park and Beyond - Bonnie Scudder

Credit

History, links and images provided courtesy of Robert Phelps, long-time Elk Falls Ranch resident.


History | A recent history of mining

At first glance, the Elk Valley is a quiet mountain location offering abundant recreation and access to wildlife. Dig a little deeper, and it&rsquos clear that this region is thriving not only due to the lifestyle it offers, but also thanks to the industry that has shaped every aspect of life in the mountains.

For over one hundred and twenty years, coal mining has quite literally been the bedrock of life in the Elk Valley. Communities have risen up and faded away, roads and rail-lines have been built, societies and support networks created all thanks to the coal mining activity. Local culture has been founded on a diverse workforce that includes decades of immigration from around the world including Indian Sheiks, Chinese, Italians, British and Eastern Europeans, and many others. With a total population of around 11,000 spread over 75 km, the entire Elk Valley barely approaches the population of many of Canada&rsquos smaller towns and yet it contributes significantly to the Canadian GDP and has one of the most active housing markets in the province.

The largest community &mdash Fernie &mdash was founded in 1904 around the same time that The Crow&rsquos Nest Coal Company headquartered itself centrally between its three main mining operations of Carbonado (Morrissey), Coal Creek and Michel. All three underground mines have long since ceased operations, and mining is now focused on the North-eastern half of the valley, from Sparwood to the area north of Elkford. Five mines are currently in active operation the TeckElkview Mine that includes the area where the Michel mine was situated near Sparwood, Coal Mountain (which will cease operations in 2019) and Teck Line Creek, Greenhills, and Fording River mines around Elkford. Coal produced in the Elk Valley is highly valued in the global steelmaking industry. The majority of the production is sent via rail to the BC&rsquos west coastand then shipped overseas. The coal trains that can be seen and heard rumbling through the valley operate 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.

Mining in the Elk Valley became more stable in the 1960&rsquos with a move towards open pit extraction following half a century of fluctuation in the industry. In 1968 J. Edgar Kaiser negotiated the rights to a large portion of the current Elkview Mine and formed Kaiser Resources Ltd. which led to a new era of prosperity in the Elk Valley. Several neighbourhoods in Fernie were developed at this time, Sparwood was founded in 1966 to replace the recently closed community of Michel, and Elkford was founded in 1971.

Throughout the 1970&rsquos and &lsquo80&rsquos, a variety of operators became involved in the industry including Fording Coal Ltd., Esso Resources and Shell Canada. The 1990&rsquos were a challenging time beginning with the infamous 1991 bankruptcy of Westar Mining, formerly known as Kaiser Resources. Teck Cominco reopened Westar as Elkview Mine in 1991 and Fording Coal reopened Westar&rsquos Greenhills Mine in 1992. In 2004, the Elk Valley Coal Partnership brought all 5 operational mines together into an efficient and streamlined industrial force with Teck acquiring full control of all interests in 2008.

As the second largest seaborne exporter of steelmaking coal in the world and Canada&rsquos largest diversified resource company, Teck is a significant international organisation representing the Elk Valley across the globe.

Steel produced with Elk Valley coal is used in healthcare, transportation and manufacturing, and is essential in everyday items like computers, phones and household appliances. With over 40 years of available resources at current sites, several new potential sitesundergoing Environmental Assessments, and new companies including North Coalemerging, the future prosperity of the industry &mdash and the Elk Valley &mdash looks very bright.


OLD TOWN ELK GROVE FOUNDATION

Call it Main Street, call it Old Town, or call it our treasury of history. Whatever name you give it, this special place is the heart of our great city of Elk Grove. In that east west stretch of road from Elk Grove-Florin Road to Waterman, we find our roots, and it is there that the foundation of our city was created and developed. Almost everything that we do today in Elk Grove can trace its origins to the area around those railroad tracks that mark the center of our Old Town.

Not only did many of our businesses get started on that long ago Main Street, but so did our fire department, our water service, and our Chamber of Commerce. In addition, we have two great historical markers to note great progress in education that took place there, and both were first in California! We had the first union free high school in 1893 and the first free county library branch in 1908. Main Street/Elk Grove Boulevard was the dividing line between the properties of two brothers, Joseph and George Harvey Kerr, who bought the 320 acres in 1852. Although the Elk Grove Stage Stop goes back to 1850 and it gave us our name, the town of Elk Grove started on the Kerr property a few years later in 1868 when the railroad came through.

The Western Division of the Central Pacific Railroad made its way south from Sacramento to Stockton, and it came across the Kerr property. It did not take long for business men to recognize the potential that the railroad would bring to the area, and Elk Grove has never been the same. Our main street had two names to the east. It was known as Elk Grove-Sheldon Road, and to the west it was known as Elk Grove-Franklin Road. And, to the north, as we still call it today, was Elk Grove-Florin Road.

Central Pacific built a railroad depot on the east side of the tracks, south of today's Main Street. Little did the railroad folks, the Kerr brothers, or the first business folks know that a great city would rise from their efforts of so long ago. It took a while, but finally in the year 2000, the city of Elk Grove was born, 132 years after the railroad came through.

The Cox Brothers opened a store in the railroad depot in the new site of Elk Grove, and that was all it took to get things moving. By 1869, even the post office had moved over to the new location. It was Julius Everson, a farmer, who was the first to really recognize the potential of Elk Grove as a center for the farming community. Situated as it was in the midst of a growing agricultural industry, and with the great potential of the railroad to fuel that growth, Everson realized the possibilities of business success. There was only one problem. Everson had no capital to start a business. This did not however stop him he formed a building association, and his plan quickly became successful. The Elk Grove Building Association was incorporated in January of 1876. It only took seven months to construct the first building, and by August, they had a 30 x 60 foot building open for business. Everson and his partner, Mr. Chittenden, began with a large stock of general merchandise, and in just 16 months, they claimed to have had sales of $52,000. Amazing – but this was just the beginning!

What happened in the next two years is almost unbelievable. Business growth, even though it has steadily increased in the past hundred years, has never been like the growth that took place in the two year period between 1878 and 1880. The 1880 History of Sacramento County (Thompson and West) listed a variety of businesses on the new Main Street, the shining star of 1880 commerce. This is what had developed in that short time:

Railroad House, a hotel built by M.H. Davis William Hicks, proprietor.

Elk Grove Hotel, built by the Building Company in 1876 J. W. Martin was the proprietor.

Elk Grove Flouring Mills, 1876 by H.S. Hill. They boasted of three run of stone with a capacity of 80 barrels of flour a day. The mill was run by steam power and was leased to Beaty and Leslie of Sacramento.

General Merchandise Store, run by Everson and Chittenden, the founders.

General Merchandise Store, run by J.N. Andrews.

Central Pacific Rail Road, Agent, J. N. Andrews.

Wells Fargo & Company’s Express and Telegraph Company.

Furniture Manufactory, D.J. Nelson.

Hardware and Tin Store, opened in 1877 by A.K. Longenecker.

Drug Store, Dr. C. S. Bradford.

Harness Shop, Clarence Parker.

Variety Store, W. H. Talmadge.

Warehouse, a frame building 80 by 100 feet, fitted to receive grain and hay. It was built in 1877 by Lewis Bower for $5,500.

Dressmaking Establishment, Mrs. A. J. Longenecker.

Millinery Store, Mrs. F. M. Jones.

Carriage and wagon manufactory, John D. Hill.

Blacksmith shop, James Chinnick.


Those were all the new businesses that developed in the growing town of Elk Grove in the 12 years after the railroad came through in 1868. In 1880 there were 19 businesses lined up on both sides of the railroad tracks on what later was known as Main Street.

According to records we have, by 1887 there were even more places of business on Main Street than there had been in 1880. The Toronto Hotel and Saloon was there, and the Masonic Building had been constructed in the center of town. Not to be out-done, the International Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F) built a big two story building too. Those two buildings still stand, although both were destroyed by fire and rebuilt, the I.O.O.F. building 1892, and the Masonic Building a century later in 1991.

Sometime between 1880 and 1887, Elk Grove’s most colorful business was born, for it is first listed in the records of 1887. It was the Iron Jaw Saloon, and another saloon, known as Bob’s Club today, is the oldest building in Elk Grove. It is the only building that survived the disastrous fire of 1892.

Agriculture was definitely the reason for all this rapid growth in our town of Elk Grove. Wheat was being raised most successfully all over the Elk Grove and Cosumnes River region. Yields were recorded at 25-30 bushels per acre. Barley too was very productive with reports of 30-40 bushels per acre. The good river bottom land with its outstanding quality of grasses was producing very profitable hay for landowners. By 1880 however, things changed. The mining debris from the upper river did no favors for farmers’ fields. Other crops were introduced, and this diversity paid off handsomely in future years.

It is interesting to note how community needs have changed over the years. Certain transitions are easy to figure out such as the blacksmith shop being replaced by today’s gas stations, and instead of carriage and wagon manufacturing, we have sales of new cars and trucks.


When Elk First Appeared in Colorado

Elk first started to show up in Colorado anywhere from 8,000 to 10,000 years ago. At that time, experts believe that there may have been as many as 10 million elk living throughout the country. But the elk population in Colorado and in the U.S. as a whole dwindled down over the years once the country started to take shape and develop. And by the early 1900s, there were fewer than 100,000 elk in the U.S.

In Colorado, in particular, there were only between 500 and 1,000 elk by the time 1910 rolled round. Prior to that time, there were no elk hunting regulations in place, which led to the downfall of the elk population. But during the early 1900s, Colorado launched initiatives to protect the elk population and successfully helped the elk population to rebound to where it is today.

As of 2019, there are millions of wildlife lovers who flock to Colorado every year because of the elk population. There are also about 250,000 hunters who visit Colorado to hunt elk each year. Elk hunting has become one of the most popular outdoor activities in the state, and it generates a lot of money for Colorado year in and year out. Nearly 50,000 elk are harvested by hunters thanks to the popularity of elk hunting.

Would you like to come to Colorado to see what elk hunting in the state is all about? Samuelson Outfitters would be happy to host you on your next elk hunting adventure. Call us at 970-726-8221 today to reserve a deer and elk hunting trip in Colorado with us.


The installation of the first Hall double chairlift led to the development of five expert trails and various intermediate trails from the top. Elk’s first expert trail, completed before the chairlift itself, was host to the 1960 Pennsylvania State Championships. Enthusiastic competitors and gatekeepers actually walked to the summit from the top of the T-bar to run the race.

Elk’s expanded operations led to the construction of a new maintenance facility and the expansion of snowmaking capabilities, both of which were completed in 1984. In the decades that followed, the snowmaking system was fine tuned even more.

In the early 80’s a new Ski Shop, Ski Patrol facility and Locker Room was constructed. The following years, The Winter Garden Restaurant was built, the cafeteria kitchen was doubled in size and the cafeteria updated. In the mid 80’s a new work shop, pump house, and storage shed was built. Elk also purchased a new grooming tractor at that time.


Watch the video: Ποιος κάνει τι στην Ευρωπαϊκή Ένωση; (May 2022).