We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
(SeTug: t. 420; 1. 137'; b. 26'; dr. 9'10"; s. 10.35 k.; a.
The first Paloe, a 4th rate iron screw tug, was built by James Tetlow, Chelsea, Mass., in 1865 and was put into service as a
yard tug at the Boston Navy Yard the following year. Placed in ordinary in 1869, the tug was converted to a gunboat and commissioned 11 June 1870, Lt. C. H. Roekwell in command.
Departing Boston 20 June for the Asiatic Station, Palos steamed across the Atlantic and through the Mediterranean, becoming the first American warship to transit the Suez Canal 11-12 August, nnd arrived at Singapore, via Aden ahd Ceylon 25 September. Following a hrief stay at that port, the gunboat put out for Hong Kong and for the next 22 years operated on the China and Japan coasts and inland waters protecting American interests.
In May 1871, the warship sailed from Shanghai for Nagasaki, Japan, and thence Korea as part of the Asiatic Squadron under Rear Admiral John Rodgers carrying U.S. Minister to China Francis Low on a diplomatic mission to the "Hermit Kingdom." While engaged in surveying the Salee River 1 June, she was fired upon by a Korean fort, two men from the squadron being wounded before return fire stopped the attack. Admiral Rodgers waited ten days for an official apology and then ordered Palos, gunboat Monocacy, and a 650 man landing party into action, the two warships supporting an assault and capture of the main Korean fort 10 June and the taking of four others the next day. The squadron departed the Korean coast 3 July without renewing negotiations but the show of force was ultimately helpful in opening the country to Western trade.
Palos continued her operations on the Asiatic Station into 1891, eruising the Chinese and Japanese coasts, visiting the open treaty ports and making occasional voyages up the Yangtze and Canton Rivers. From June to September 1891, anti foreign riots up the Yangtze forced the warship to make an extended voyage as far as Hankow, 600 miles upriver in protection of American lives and property. Stopping at each open treaty port, the gunboat cooperated with naval vessels of other nations in restoring order and repairing damage. She then operated along the north and central China coast and on the lower Yangtze easing anti-foreign tensions until June 1892 when she sailed for Nagasaki, arriving on the 19th.
Palos was condemned as unfit for further service there 6 July and was decommissioned and sold at auction 25 January 1893. She was subsequently scrapped.
Palos Township Residents Poised To Make History: LETTER
Protestors gather in front of Palos Township Hall to demand Tr. Sharon Brannigan's resignation for alleged racist comments she made about Arab Americans. (Lorraine Swanson/Patch)
PALOS HILLS, IL — The April 6 Palos Township election will be historic because it follows a four-year-long campaign in which the Arab community and its friends and allies in the Township and the southwest suburbs have been organizing to force the resignation of Trustee Sharon Brannigan, in response to racist, anti-Arab, and anti-Muslim statements she posted on her Facebook page.
The Arab community has protested the Township meetings every month since July 2017, and this election arrives in the wake of a series of victories, including the mobilization of hundreds of community members over a period of almost four years, including a year of the pandemic.
To ensure the safety of community members during the pandemic, we drove in car caravan protests through the Township and around Brannigan's home. Even her neighbors, who came out to support us during those caravans, are disgusted by her racism. The pressure we put on the Township paid off, forcing the rest of the Township Board of Trustees to dump Brannigan from its slate. It is also important to note that as the head of the Township's public health committee, Brannigan had "nothing to report" at 11 of the 12 meetings that she attended by Zoom during the pandemic.
SUBSCRIBE NOW KRON4 Breaking News
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi briefly addressed her hair controversy that developed after she got her hair done inside a San Francisco salon — before the city allowed salons to operate indoors.
Pelosi said the hair salon, that she says she’s been going to for years, set her up. She added that the salon owes her an apology.
Surveillance video that circulated online showed Pelosi inside the “E” Salon Monday on Union Street.
KRON has learned the video shows Pelosi with wet hair inside the salon, not wearing a mask.
“I take responsibility for trusting the word of a neighborhood salon that I’ve been to over the years many times,” she said Wednesday while addressing reporters in the city. “When they said they were able to accommodate people one person at a time, I trusted that.”
“As it turns out – it was a setup,” she added. “So I take responsibility for falling for a setup.”
The lawyer representing Jonathan DeNardo, the San Francisco cosmetologist that reportedly serviced Pelosi, released a statement Wednesday evening.
Pelosi is an active member of the Italian-American community and served as a board member of the National Organization of Italian American Woman. She served there for 13 years as a board member of the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF). She was awarded a Special Achievement Award for Public Advocacy in 2007. Pelosi met her husband Paul Frank Pelosi when she was attending college.
The couple married in September 1963. Her husband owns a venture capital, financial consulting, and real estate firm. Her husband Paul, owns large stakes in companies like Facebook, Apple, Comcast, Shutterfly, and Walt Disney Co. Paul Pelosi is a wealthy man and he also owns a few office buildings in San Francisco. He also has a lot of commercial properties around California.
Palos I SeTug - History
Palos Hills was incorporated as a city in October, 1958. The generalized boundaries of Palos Hills at incorporation were the Calumet-Sag Canal, 95th Street, Kean Avenue and Harlem Avenue.
You can click on the map to the below for a larger image of the generalized boundaries of Palos Hills.
Origin of Palos Hills Name - Incorporation of Palos Hills
(Excerpt of Article Thursday, March 7, 1974 Palos Regional Newspaper)
"The name Palos, like the names of many towns and cities across the United States, has its origin in the Old World. Palos is the namesake of Palos de Frontera, the port across the sear from whose harbor sailed the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.
When the township was first organized in 1850 from a part of the old York precinct, it was named Trenton. Soon after this time, however, officials learned that another Trenton township was located nearby.
Reputedly, the name Palos was suggested by Melanchan Powell, one of the earliest settlers and first postmaster of Palos. Powel, drawing on a family tradition that one of his ancestors had been a member of the crew on one of the ships commanded by Christopher Columbus, suggested the name Palos. Though the exact translation of the Spanish word "Palos" is uncertain, it may mean a tall tree, a mast of a ship, or a promontory.
The building of the Illinois-Michigan canal brought swarms of settlers from Germany, Ireland, and the eastern United States to the area. Soon after these people arrived, the woodchoppers, the farmers, and the stock raisers came to live in Palos.
The "Hills", the "Park", and the "Heights", were added to the name of Palos by real estate developers."
Palos Hills was predominantly a farming community until World War ll when the Chrysler Corporation built an airplane factory at Ford City, and land developers discovered the area known then as North Palos. Soon after the war's end, commercial home building in the areas began, and in 1946 the first Fire House was erected. The first school in North Palos District 117 was built in 1940.
In 1957, it became apparent that Hickory Hills, Worth, Bridgeview, and Chicago Ridge were gradually extending their boundaries into North Palos. It was time for some action to be taken towards a charter and the North Palos Community Council was formed with Earl Potter chosen as president. A referendum was held on October 25, 1958 at which time residents voted to incorporate the city of Palos Hills. Soon after the referendum passed, Carleton Ihde was elected the first Mayor.
Since that time the city has grown considerably, bringing to the community the Green Hills Library, A.A. Stagg High School, and Moraine Valley Community College, and various churches and schools, as well as numerous businesses.
In the Early 1980's, Palos Hills began a new City Administration under the leadership of Gerald R. Bennett as Mayor. Many major improvements have been made since this time including new roadways, drainage, improved sidewalks, lighting projects on our main thoroughfares and neighborhood streets. We've also seen the addition of a municipal golf course, expanded park services and a community resource department serving the needs of all age groups. In 1994, a new City Hall at 10335 South Roberts Road was dedicated which houses the departments of Administration, Sewer & Water, Building and Licensing, Community Resources and our Ordinance/Animal Control Officer.
Palos Hills - A Pre-History
by William L. Potter
(All Rights Reserved - Copyright William L. Potter)
(Excerpts Reprinted With Permission of Mr. William L. Potter)
Requiem In Palos Hills
She came with her family to spend the summer here one year. While others in the family hunted in the nearby woods and fished in the Sag, she gathered berries and helped her mother in the garden. She loved it here. Autumn came her family moved on, but she never left. When she died, they buried her on the wooded hill behind the garden. That was over 250 summers ago. The girl's body still lies undisturbed and undetected in the yard of a home in Palos Hills. The girl was an early resident of Palos. She was an Indian.
The Indian Pioneers In Palos
For thousands of years, Indians were attracted to this area, establishing camps and small village sites along the Sagaunash Swamp. This grass choked body of water and mud stretched from the Des Plaines River valley on the west to what is now Blue Island on the east. The Sag swamp had the features primitive man looked for: the watery areas held a bountiful supply of fish, clams, birds, and fur bearing animals. The shores of the Sag (and nearby bogs) were dotted with plants that provided numerous edible roots and berries the rich soil was suitable for growing their crops of maize, beans and squash. The nearby hills and woods provided game such as deer and raccoon. Rivulets, intermittent streams, and springs at the base of those hills provided fresh water. In short, the Sag Swamp area was one of several locations in the Chicago area that Indians sought out while in the vicinity of the tip of Lake Michigan.
The Arrival of the Europeans
Late in the summer of 1673, Louis Joliet and Father Jacques Marquette paddled their canoes up the Illinois and Des Plaines rivers, then portaged to the Chicago River, and pushed on to Lake Michigan while returning to Canada from their journey of exploration. And in so doing, they moved the Illinois Country out of its pre-historic status. The written history of Illinois had begun. It is possible other Europeans had been in the area prior to this, but if so, they made no attempt to record the fact. The historic Period (1673 to the mid 1830's for Indians in Illinois) was the era of contact with the white people the explorers and Voyageurs, the Coureurs de Bois (the French "rangers of the woods" who conducted extensive though illegal trade with the Indians), the Habitants (French settlers establishing small, villages in the wilderness), the soldiers of France, Great Britain, the United States, and even (in one instance) Spain, and the American settlers entered the Illinois country and influenced the Indian way of life. It was a period of rapid erosion of native culture. White traders brought in large amounts of trade items, all vastly superior to any equivalent items produced by the Indians, and gradually saturated the Indian life style to such an extent that their native skill and crafts fell into disuse. Iron axes replaced those chipped or ground from stone, brass pots replaced native pottery, while fine European cloth replaced animal skins and rude native woven cloth. The rush to adopt the new technology available to them and the shunning of their own stone age technology resulted in an increasing dependence by the Indian on the white man, which in turn resulted in an increasing dominance of the Indian by the Whites. Not all the Indians went along with their increasing subservience. Revolts, in Illinois and the Midwest, against white influence did occur, most notable being the Fox Indians. against the French in the early 1700's, Pontiac's Rebellion against the British in 1763, and the Blackhawk War of 1832. The latter was more the product of white fear than Indian threat, but it did seal the fate of all the Indians still living in Illinois: legislation was enacted to move the remaining tribes (many had already gone on their own) west of the Mississippi. The principal removal was from the Chicago area (where several tribes had gathered to receive Government handouts and await the move) in 1835, with residual groups being removed through 1839. Thus ended the Historic period for the Indians of Illinois.
Indian Sites In Palos Hills
Two Indian sites have been excavated in our area by archeologists. The sites produced artifacts that indicate Indians from each of the above described periods visited: here, but the two sites were occupied principally by Indians of the Upper-Mississippian and early Historic periods. This doesn't eliminate the possibility that village sites from other periods might have been here. Palos Hills and the surrounding area were dotted with archeological sites at one time. Farmers in the 1900's often struck graves with their plows, and they collected arrowheads and other artifacts literally by buckets-full. Many of these sites have been totally obliterated by the construction of homes, roads, and sewers the information that might have been obtained from these sites is lost forever. Other sites have been disturbed or partially destroyed by farming construction, and robbery by "pot-hunters," inept or irresponsible amateurs who dig carelessly at sites to bolster personal collections, often losing important data in the process. Such sites are still valuable sources of information (although somewhat garbled) but are unfortunately passed over by professional archeologists who, in consideration of the small quantities of money available for excavations, must go on to the sites that will produce the most information. There are undoubtedly a number of sites in our area that have gone undetected for this reason, you should report any artifacts you may find so they may be recorded. The two sites excavated nearby were the Knoll Spring site near Palos Hills City Hall, and the Palos site near the model airplane field on Route 45. The first was excavated by Charles M. Slaymaker III from Treganza Anthropology Museum at San Francisco State College, the latter by members of the Field Museum’s Summer Anthropology program.
Indian Methodology and Hardware
What's found at Indian sites in our area? The most common items are flint flakes and fire-cracked rocks. Flint flakes were a by-product of making flint tools such as arrowheads. The first step was to find a suitable nodule of flint or chirt, glassy rock material that would break into long flakes when properly struck. The nodule would be broken away until a core remained, which was discarded. The best pieces were chosen for further working. Striking a well-placed, glancing blow to the larger flake produced a smaller one. A hundred other skillful strikes would produce a useful article and hundreds of flakes. A misplaced blow would produce a broken item which, if it couldn't be converted into some other tool, was discarded. A skilled flint shapper could produce a projectile point or other artifact in a few minutes.
The fire cracked rock was the result of one method of cooking used by the Indians. A pit was dug and filled with wood and rocks. The wood was burned, causing the rocks to become almost red hot. The coals and rocks were raked aside fish, roots, and other foodstuffs were wrapped in wet leaves or grass and placed in the pit. The rocks were then pushed back over the food, which was allowed to cook as needed. Heated rocks were also tossed into hides filled with water to boil other foods. The heated rocks usually fractured as a result of such use.
Among the most common flint artifacts are projectile points for arrows, spears, and darts blades (flints with sharp or serrated edges) used for cutting meat, hide, or wood drills (similar to arrowheads,. but with a long, narrow point) for drilling holes in hide, wood and shell and scrapers for dressing hides before tanning. Flint hoes or digging tool blades are found occasionally, as are gun flints.
Common non-flint stone items include ground down ax heads, hammer stones, grinding stones (for grinding corn etc.) and celts (which may have been a sort of multi-purpose tool for grinding and chopping). Occasionally ground stone tobacco pipes are found. Common items made from bones or antlers were hoes and digging tools, projectile points, awls, and needles for matting or weaving. Items made from clamshells included hoes and spoons. Shell was ground up and mixed with clay to make certain pottery items.
Artifacts found here made from natural copper include finger rings, beads, and hair tubes, (long, thin tubes that were formed around shanks of hair as a common hairstyle). The copper was prepared by beating the copper nodules flat with a hammer stone.
Pottery was made from certain clays to which various tempering materials, such as shell or ground stone, were added to increase its durability. It was paddled and kneaded to shape, then fired at a relatively low temperature the result was vessels that were closer to hardened dirt than to modern ceramics. Each culture had its own particular materials, finishes shapes, and decorations this coupled with the fact that the easily broken pots were often left where they broke, make them useful tools for dating sites and identifying the cultures.
Indicators of what our Indian predecessors ate while in the Palos area include fish scales and bones, clam shells, bird bones, small animal bones, and deer bones. Remains of stored corn occasionally turn up. White man's trade artifacts that have been found in the area include gun parts, a bullet, bits of brass kettles, iron trade arrowheads, kaolin (white clay) tobacco pipes, glass trade beads, iron knives, iron hatchets, and steel strikers for starting fires. Trade manifests from the Historic Period indicate many other trade items were available to the Indians, but have not tuned up here.
It should be noted the above list is by no means complete
The present overall .view (from data unearthed) of the Indian Villages of the Sag is of small clusters of Indians, probably amounting to 25 or fewer people, closely related to the Upper Mississippian culture, Blue Island subculture (a variation in the culture first recognized at a site in that nearby area). The village was probably a summer camp virtually all the Indian cultures went to different areas of the Midwest according to the season. Housing was not substantial enough to have left post moulds below the plow level (although evidence of ' long, oval houses have been found at other sites of this culture in the Chicago Area). The presence of relatively few European trade items shows some contact with the whites, but not extensive contact, which would indicate the excavated sites were probable not occupied during the late Historic Period.
Tribal distinctions were first made in the writings of the early explorers. The tribes occupying our area would be difficult or impossible to, pinpoint. However, tribes known to have occupied the Chicago area at various times during the first half of the Historic Period include the Miami, the Wea, the Sauk, the Fox, the Potawatomi (with some of their 0jibway and Ottawa cousins), the Mascoutah, and the Kickapoo. The Illini Indians, for whom Illinois is named, do not appear to have been residents of this area during the Historic Period, although a few winter hunting parties were found starving in the Chicago area in 1674, and a small group may have been living somewhere in the area in 1676
The Marquette Era
While the Illinois country on the whole entered the' light of history in 1673, the Palos area remained in the shadows until the 1830's. This historical gray area has proven to be a spawning ground for local legends and speculations that have come to be repeated as fact these legends merit some discussion.
One legend has Marquette and Joliet camping or saying Mass in the Palos vicinity in 1673. The basis for this conclusion is probably more wishful thinking than fact. Unfortunately, the records and maps that are cited as proof for this legend are anything but conclusive. Joliet's notes made during the 1673 expedition were lost when his canoe went down the so called Joliet maps were all drawn after the event, and in fact, were not all done by the same person, causing some confusion in accuracy. Marquette's map of the voyage is virtually without details. All maps from this period show great amounts of distortion that make them useless for pinpointing landmarks. Marquette's account (written after the trip was over) probably wasn't even written by him. The events related in that journal are in many instances vague and subject to broad interpretation. It is interesting to note that many towns have used the very same information to "prove" that Marquette and Joliet stayed in their city. Although there is a slight possibility of Marquette and/or Joliet having been in Palos, there is no way of proving where they went in the Chicago area from the records now available.
Another legend suggests that the Chicago Portage (the route used by the explorers and voyagers of the 17th and 18th centuries to get from Lake Michigan to the Des Plaines River) was via the Calumet River, Stoney Creek, and the Sagaunash Swamp. In 1830, Indian guides for an Illinois Michigan Canal surveyor said that in times of high water, a direct water connection existed between the Lake and the Des Plaines via the Sag route. However, the Calumet River shows up (with any degree of certainty) on only a few maps prior to that time, and the Sagaunash Swamp (also labeled Grassy Lake) doesn't make regular appearances on maps until the 1830's, indicating a lack of importance. Also, proponents of the Sag Portage theory have occasionally based their claims on the same shaky evidence used to place Marquette and Joliet in Palos.
The preponderance of evidence indicates the normal Chicago Portage was the Chicago River, Mud Lake, Des Plaines River route (passing in or near Stickney, Forest View, and Lyons) generally accepted by historians. However, this route undoubtedly wasn't as tried and true as some historians would like us to believe. The actual route probably varied considerably according to season, and it is not too unreasonable to assume that, in light of the comments made by the Indians to the Canal surveyors, the Sag Swamp may have been used as an occasional alternate route. But for the bulk of the 17th and 18th century traffic, the Chicago Portage was where it was supposed to be.
The French Skeleton
Another legend states that in 1858, Thomas Kelly of Section 18, Palos Township, found "the skeleton of a man with an ancient French gun and copper powder horn, with the inscription `Frary Brinhem' etched upon it". Just how it was determined that the gun was French is not known it is very unlikely anyone but an expert could examine a musket excavated after decades of exposure and tell if it was a French one. Indeed, many of the American military muskets made up until the early 1800's were copied from earlier French weapons. Some French soldiers did have brass powder flasks, but the one found by Kelly would have to be compared with existing samples to produce any meaningful information the flask could easily have been from one of several periods of time and places of origin. Unfortunately, the Kelly finds probably no longer exist or are not available for examination: Several sources give accounts of the Kelly, fords, which indicates he really did ford a skeleton, gun, and powder flask. The man probably was alone at the time of his death, and possibly died of natural causes if he had been with companions or had been killed by hostiles, his weapon and powder probably would not have been left with the body. Who he was, what he was doing here, and the year of his death may never be known.
A legend closely related to the above is that of caches of French and Spanish coins turning up in our area the stories go that these coins were left by soldiers, explorers, etc. One must wonder what these people would have used coins for out in the wilderness, and why they would have lugged them so far to bury them. more probable explanation could lie in one of the periods in the 1800's when foreign coinage was in use because of shortages or distrust in American money. Another explanation might be the caches were left by immigrants who flooded the area in the 1840's. Of course, the key to the mystery lies in the coins: when and where they were struck. The coins that were supposedly found haven't been produced for examination, and there was apparently no attempt to record or report any inscriptions on them: Perhaps some relative of those who found the coins might still have them, but verification of their authenticity would be a problem at this late date.
A few longtime residents have claimed that members of their families had dug up "French" swords, "French" lances, and "French" guns while plowing in days passed. For a time, it seems, every piece of rusty metal hit was a "French" something. It is possible they really were the items they were claimed to be they could even really be French. However, none of the items have ever been produced for examination, so their authenticity will never be proved or disproved even their very existence must (for now at least) be put in the "legend" category.
All of the above legends have been treated in a somewhat pessimistic light. However, there are some flies in this historical ointment, anomalies that create more questions than they answer.
The French Forts
In the 1830's, visitors to this area found the remains of what were apparently earthworks fortifications on the bluffs overlooking the Sag Swamp. Although there is some confusion in a few early descriptions, there were apparently two fortifications, one on or near the site of Palos Hills City Hall and the Green Hills Library, the other near the intersection of 107th and Kean Ave :
All traces of the earthworks were destroyed by farming and road building early in this century, so we are reliant upon a handful of descriptions made near the turn of the century. One person wrote he had first visited, one of the sites in 1833, and had revisited it several times before his 1883 writing. He described the earthworks as having trees at least 100 years old growing within their confines, making it doubtful the fortification was built in the 1800's. The fort he was describing was probably near Kean Ave., but there is a sizable discrepancy between the location he gives (near the Model Plane Field on Rt. 45) and the location given by contemporaries who were reprinting his letter. It is interesting to note that he casually suggests the earthworks were possibly the, work of French explorers. This supposition has "poisoned the well" with writers after him taking the hypothesis as fact, thus creating a French heritage for Palos that may or may not be true.
The Palos Hills Cannonballs
It would seem logical these forts were of Indian construction, especially considering their close proximity to Indian village sites. Fortifications are common to several Indian cultures. The City Hall earthworks were described as being square and about 200 ft. long. Circular and square platforms are common in Indian fortifications. However, the fortification purported to be near 107th and Kean was described as triangular, not typical of Indian forts, but common to European construction. Then there is the matter of the cannonballs: In 1963, children found three cannonballs embedded in the bottom of a freshly cut ditch at 87th Avenue and 103rd Street, a block west of one of the probable fort sites. Another was found 1/4 of a mile northwest of there lying on the ground. A fifth has come to light that had supposedly been found "East of Willow Springs" about sixty years ago.
The sizes of the cannonballs are 1-17/32", 1-9/16", 2-1/8", 2-1/2", and 2-11/16" in diameter. The first two correspond almost exactly to the size of British ordinance 1/2 pound shot used in swivel guns (small cannons often mounted on ramparts and ship's railings). This size was used by several nations, including the U.S. in its early days. The next size is also in the swivel gun class and is probably a "one‑and‑a‑half pounder". The fourth is a 2 pounder near (but not quite) to British specs. Again, several armies used cannons firing a ball this size. The fifth cannon ball comes closest to matching the theoretical size of a French 2 pound gun. It should be noted that cannons were usually identified by the weight of the iron ball they fired. In viewing the above information, it is important to realize there was considerable variation in the size of cannonballs for a single caliber gun this size difference results from poor casting or inaccurate moulds but was acceptable as long as the shot fit freely and easily down the bore of the gun. Because of this size difference in shot, because of the common use of similar size cannons by several countries, and because of the practice of using captured weapons, it would be very risky to base any conclusions on the size of the cannonballs found. However, each of the sizes found were obsolete by the Civil War Period.
These cannonballs present more questions than they answer. Palos. Hills and the surrounding area has no documented military history, or at least any that has come to light. How did the cannonballs get here? Are they related to the fort sites, or is their presence coincidental? Were they all left during the same period of time? If so, how come there are so many different sizes involved? Perhaps there was some sort of military action here that has been overlooked by historians. Is it possible? Several military expeditions, including French, American, and English, are known to have passed through the Chicago area in the 17th and 18th centuries, although it would be difficult to pinpoint their exact routes. If one of these groups were here and built a fort, it would have been a temporary field fortification that was to be occupied for only a short time. But why haven't more military items been found? Could it be the artifacts the old timers were rumored to have found actually were the things they claimed? Why are there so many cannonballs but no bullets? Why was the Sag fortified with not one, but two fortifications? Could it be the legends might inadvertently be true?
Our search for the answers continue, but we need the help of the residents of Palos. If you've found something that may be an artifact of our Indian or European predecessors, please contact the Palos Hills Historical Commission through William Potter, 8811 W. 102nd St. Palos Hills, who will make arrangements to have your find identified. Too much valuable information on our history has been lost forever. Perhaps you have the missing piece that will enable us to finish this chapter in the history of Palos Hills.
Pelosi On SF Salon Visit: "It Was a Setup" And I Fell For It
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi took questions from the media on Wednesday after she was caught on camera going to a closed San Francisco hair salon without a mask for a private appointment. Pelosi would not apologize, however, she told reporters that she takes "responsibility for falling for a setup."
"I take responsibility for trusting the word of the neighborhood salon that I’ve been to over the years many times, and that when they said, 'Well, we’re able to accommodate people one person at a time and that we can set up that time.' I trusted that. As it turns out, it was a setup. So I take responsibility for falling for a setup. And that’s all I’m going to say on that."
San Francisco salon owner Erica Kious denies Nancy Pelosi's claim that she was set up after video surfaced of the House speaker's maskless visit. "This isn't even political," Kious told FOX News host Tucker Carlson. "She's been coming in there . it's the fact that she actually came in, didn't.
NBC SAN FRANCISCO: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is getting heat over a solo hair salon visit in San Francisco at a time when California businesses are limited by concern over coronavirus. Jean Elle reports. Camera footage:
President Donald Trump cited left-wing activist Michael Moore's concerns about enthusiasm for the president in an interview with FOX News host Laura Ingraham. "Many people said I’m not voting if Trump’s not on the ballot," Trump said in the interview that aired Tuesday. "Watch what happens.
NANCY PELOSI: We passed the bill on May 15th. At that time, Mitch McConnell pressed the pause button. He said there was no reason for us to do anything. Since that time, 4.6 million more people have been infected. Four-and-a-half million more people have been infected, and 96,000 more people have.
Dos Palos’ museum is one of the newest in the county
Like other small museums, it offers unique artifacts and glimpses into history that you won’t see in larger museums that tend to generalize history into broad trends and focus on the best-known and most influential historical characters.
The museum has an especially interesting collection of photos Some of the most interesting images I saw during my recent visit include:
- Basketball games inside the old gymnasium (no longer standing) at the original Dos Palos High School
- Steamboats on the San Joaquin River in the early 1900’s
- Downtown Dos Palos after the 1911 fire
- Barrels of wine confiscated in a Prohibition-era raid being dumped into the Dos Palos sewer
- Comparison shots of downtown Dos Palos before and after the installation of streetlights. Nighttime was dark in a small town without them!
- Ice skating on a frozen canal in 1913
Veterans Memorial - PHOTO BY ADAM BLAUERT
Native Americans Edit
The peninsula was the homeland of the Tongva-Gabrieliño Native Americans people for thousands of years. In other areas of the Los Angeles Basin archeological sites date back 8,000 years.   Their first contact with Europeans occurred in 1542 with João Cabrilho (Juan Cabrillo). Chowigna and Suangna were two Tongva settlements of many in the peninsula area, which was also a departure point for their rancherías on the Channel Islands.
Spanish and Mexican era Edit
In 1846, José Dolores Sepúlveda and José Loreto received a Mexican land grant from Alta California Governor Pío Pico for a parcel from the huge original 1784 Spanish land grant of Rancho San Pedro to Manuel Dominguez.  It was named Rancho de los Palos Verdes, or "ranch of the green sticks", which was used primarily as a cattle ranch.  It was also briefly used as a whaling station in the mid-19th century.
American era Edit
By 1882, ownership of the land had passed from the Sepulveda family through various mortgage holders to Jotham Bixby of Rancho Los Cerritos, who leased the land to Japanese farmers. 
Frank Vanderlip, representing a group of wealthy east coast investors, purchased 25 square miles of land on the Palos Verdes Peninsula in 1913 for $1.5 million.  In 1914, Vanderlip vacationed at Palos Verdes in order to recover from an illness, and he was astounded by scenery he compared to "the Sorrentine Peninsula and the Amalfi Drive." He quickly initiated development of Palos Verdes. He hired the Olmsted Brothers, the landscaping firm of John Charles Olmsted and Frederick Law Olmsted Jr., to plan and landscape a new subdivision.  The Olmsted Brothers contracted Koebig & Koebig to perform engineering work, including surveying and road planning.  However, the project stalled as World War I started, and Vanderlip accepted a chairmanship to the War Savings Committee in Washington, D.C. in 1916.
By 1921, Vanderlip had lost interest in overseeing development of Palos Verdes and enticed Edward Gardner Lewis to take over the project with an option to buy the property for $5 million. Lewis was an experienced developer, but lacked the capital to purchase and develop Palos Verdes. Instead, he established a real estate trust, capitalizing the project through the sale of notes which were convertible to Palos Verdes property. Under the terms of the trust, Lewis sought to raise $30 million for infrastructure improvements, effectively borrowing from investors for both the land and the improvements. He succeeded in attracting $15 million in capital, but far short of the $35 million needed. The trust dissolved and ownership of Palos Verdes reverted to Vanderlip. 
Vanderlip established a new real estate trust to purchase 3,200 acres from his land syndicate and establish the subdivision of Palos Verdes Estates. The new trust assumed not just the land, but also the improvements made by Lewis. They were not complete, but they were substantial: improvements included many sewers, water mains, and roads landscaping, parks, and a golf course. They opened Palos Verdes for public inspection in June 1923. 
Palos Verdes Estates was organized and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers and in their planning, they dedicated a quarter of the land area to permanent open undeveloped space. 
Areas of commerce include historic Mediterranean Revival style Malaga Cove Plaza and the Promenade on the Peninsula. Smaller shopping centers include the Peninsula Center, Lunada Bay Plaza, and Golden Cove Plaza.
The largest peninsula commercial district is in Rolling Hills Estates, with many shopping centers including The Promenade on the Peninsula with a megaplex movie theater and an ice rink.
The Palos Verdes area has ocean views, coastline views and city light views. [ citation needed ]
The Peninsula is home to the Promenade on the Peninsula mall, originally an enclosed regional mall with two department store anchors, May Company California and Bullocks Wilshire, as well as the Peninsula Center, which originally had a Buffums department store. 
The Palos Verdes Peninsula Transit Authority provides bus service within and to the Palos Verdes Peninsula.  The Palos Verdes Peninsula is within 40 minutes of both LAX and Long Beach Airport, which together provide access to most of the United States aboard all major carriers.
The Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District has one of the highest rated API scores in California  and has one of the highest average SAT scores  and one of the highest percentage of students successfully completing the Advanced Placement exams  in the county. There are three high schools, Palos Verdes Peninsula High School (formerly called Rolling Hills High School), Palos Verdes High School, and Rancho Del Mar High School (located in Rolling Hills). Marymount California University, a co-ed Roman Catholic four-year college is located in Rancho Palos Verdes. A private K–12 school, Chadwick School, is also located there. Rolling Hills Country Day School, adjacent to the Botanic Garden, offers a private K-8 education. In total, there are 11 elementary schools, 3 intermediate schools, and 3 high schools located on the peninsula.
In the Eastview neighborhood of Rancho Palos Verdes, however, residents have the option to choose either PV schools or the surrounding LAUSD schools (i.e. Dodson Middle School, Dana Middle School, San Pedro High School, etc.).
The Peninsula is served by the Palos Verdes Library District, which operates these three libraries:
- Peninsula Center Library
- Miraleste Library
- Malaga Cove Library- on the National Historical Register
The 40 Families Project based at Peninsula Center Library documents the history of the Japanese-American community on Palos Verdes before World War II. 
- – 35 hectare (87 acre) landscaped botanical garden, event venue, and arboretum with over 150,000 landscape plants and trees from approximately 140 families, 700 genera, and 2,000 different species. It is a classic example of land recycling by reclaiming a site that was previously a sanitary landfill and open pitdiatomite mine from 1929 until 1956. 
- Point Vicente Park is a popular spot for watching the migration of gray whales to and from their breeding lagoon in Baja California. Military Museum is located near Point Fermin in San Pedro. is a popular spot to hike trail at end of Crenshaw Blvd. is Rancho Palos Verdes's first established park in the city, overlooking a view of nearby island Santa Catalina. Park features include baseball diamond, picnic areas with barbecue, and a community room. 
The peninsula is frequented by runners, hikers, horseback riders, bird watchers, surfers, scuba divers, fishermen, and bicyclists. The area is home to several golf courses and country clubs. In addition, nude sunbathers formerly frequented Sacreds Cove (or "Smugglers Cove") until the city of Rancho Palos Verdes enacted a 1994 ordinance that ended such use of that beach.
The infamous Palos Verdes surf spots have been in the spotlight many times over issues of localism. The most notorious surf spot for localism in Palos Verdes is Lunada Bay, which can hold any winter swell and has been known to rival Sunset Beach, Hawaii on a big day. Localism in Palos Verdes reached a turning point in 2001 when a civil rights lawsuit was filed after a particularly violent confrontation with Hermosa Beach surfers.  Surveillance cameras were placed in the surfing area but were later removed.  In 2016, The Coastal Commission targeted the group after "renewed reports that their unpermitted structure [built along Lunada Bay] was being used as a spot for ongoing bullying and intimidation." On July 12, 2016, City Manager Tony Dahlerbruch recommended the removal of the illegal structure after pressure from the California Coastal Commission. 
The Trump National Golf Club is a Donald Trump venture with a golf course on the Ocean Trails cliffs. The 18th hole of the prior golf course fell victim to a landslide caused by a leak in the sanitary pipes underneath it. In the summer of 2006, the golf club erected a 70-foot flagpole for an American flag critics claimed it was illegal, but the golf club was allowed to retain it after a City Council vote. 
The Marineland of the Pacific site near Portuguese Bend is currently home of Terranea, a luxury oceanfront resort. 
There are numerous nature reserves in Palos Verdes: Palos Verdes Estates Shoreline Preserve, Agua Amarga Reserve, and Portuguese Bend Reserve. The reserves contain coastal sage scrubs habitats, a community of fragrant and drought resistant shrubs and flowering plants. In August 2009, wildfire burned approximately 165-acres of the Portuguese Bend Reserve. As a result, restoration has been done to reinstall native plants and animals to the area. 
Speaker Nancy Pelosi says House to move forward with Jan. 6 investigations: ‘We can’t wait any longer’
WASHINGTON — Speaker Nancy Pelosi says the House will move forward with investigations of the Jan. 6 insurrection now that legislation to create an independent commission has stalled in the Senate, saying “we can’t wait any longer” to probe the attack.
Pelosi’s comments came as the House prepared Tuesday to hear testimony from military officials and FBI Director Christopher Wray about what went wrong that day, when hundreds of supporters of former President Donald Trump breached the Capitol and interrupted the certification of President Joe Biden’s win. Pelosi met with several committee chairs before the hearing and said afterward that the final form of the investigations is “to be determined.” She said she will make an announcement soon.
“Whether we have a commission today, tomorrow or the next day over in the Senate, or not, the work of the committees will be very important in what we’re seeking for the American people — the truth,” Pelosi said.
One option under consideration is a select committee on the Jan. 6 attack, a setup that would put majority Democrats in charge. More than three dozen Republicans in the House and seven Senate Republicans wanted to avoid such a partisan probe and supported the legislation to create an independent, bipartisan commission outside Congress.
But those numbers weren’t strong enough to overcome GOP opposition in the Senate, where support from 1O Republicans is needed to pass most bills. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer has said he may hold a second vote after the legislation failed to advance last month, but there’s no indication that Democrats can win the necessary support from three additional Republicans.
“We can’t wait any longer,” Pelosi said. “We will proceed.”
Meanwhile, most Republicans are making clear that they want to move on from the Jan. 6 attack, brushing aside the many unanswered questions about the insurrection, including how the government and law enforcement missed intelligence leading up to the rioting and the role of Trump before and during the attack.
The hearing Tuesday in the House Oversight and Reform Committee will examine “unexplained delays and unanswered questions” about the siege, with public testimony from Wray, Gen. Charles E. Flynn and Lt. Gen. Walter E. Piatt, the director of Army staff.
Conclusion: Vote Out Politicians like Nancy Antoinette
We’ve seen examples of Nancy Pelosi in the past. Remember when she called thousands of dollars of tax cuts for middle-class Americans “crumbs?” Or when, during the mass layoffs of the Chinese Flu shutdown, she took a cringe-inducing video in front of her incredibly expensive refrigerator and talked about eating gelato? So, once you realize that elitism and hypocrisy go hand in hand, the hypocrisy of Nancy Pelosi should come as no surprise. She wants rules and burdens placed on the commoners, not important people like herself.
So, what is the solution? Vote for Donald Trump and kick Nancy Antoinette’s party firmly out of power. We might not be able to unseat her, as her constituents don’t seem to care about her hypocrisy and elitism, but we do have a good chance to win back the House and hold the Senate and Presidency. Republicans can win this, we just need to keep fighting as hard as possible.
To light a fire under those that are not willing to fight for Republicans and President Trump, just show them the hypocrisy of Nancy Pelosi. Show them that the same person who has made their lives so horrible over the past months has no intention of following those same rules herself. She cares about power and hurting President Donald Trump, not helping the average American.
President Trump, on the other hand, cares about helping all Americans. He is the exact opposite of Nancy Antoinette and her ilk. Democrats, as shown by the hypocrisy of Nancy Pelosi, want to burden you with rules but then not follow those rules. Trump wants to cut burdensome regulations. Democrats want to limit your individual freedom. Trump wants to expand your individual liberty. Democrats have disdain for you if you are not in their Ivy League, social justice elite. President Trump cares about all Americans.
If you want a President that cares about America and everyone in it, vote for Trump. If you want to be oppressed by tyrants like Nancy Antoinette, vote Democrat. It is that simple. Doing so will save America.
By: Gen Z Conservative. Follow me on Parler, Gab, and Facebook
If you liked this article on the nickname Nancy Antoinette and the hypocrisy of Nancy Pelosi, please consider leaving a tip through PayPal or Patreon to help support the site and support a young conservative!
The Patreon Donation Link: Become a patron to start asking me questions and giving me topics to write about!
Check out my patriotic T-shirts and accessories shop here: Young Conservative shirts