The story

Evidence of murder is uncovered in New Mexico

Evidence of murder is uncovered in New Mexico

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Law enforcement officers in Elephant Butte, New Mexico, began digging for evidence near the mobile home of David Parker Ray and Cynthia Lea Hendy after more evidence came to light about the couple’s activities. On March 22, a twenty-two year old woman was found running naked, except for a padlocked metal collar around her neck, down an unpaved road near Elephant Butte State Park. She told police that Ray and Hendy had abducted her three days earlier in Albuquerque before bringing her to the mobile home where she was raped and tortured.

As police delved deeper into Ray and Hendy’s background they became convinced that the woman was not the only victim. Upon hearing initial news reports, another woman called New Mexico police with her own tale of sexual torture at the hands of the couple. Then, an acquaintance of Hendy told investigators that she had previously spoken about Ray burying people near their home.

The woman escaped when Ray was at his job at the State Park. She got into a scuffle with Hendy and hit her on the back of the head with an ice pick. Hendy pled guilty to being an accomplice and then even more was revealed. Soon David Ray’s daughter Jesse was also charged for her participation in a similar 1996 attack. And the Ray’s friend Dennis Yancy was charged with the murder of a young woman who disappeared in 1997 from an Elephant Butte bar.

New Mexico man acquitted on murder charge in girl's killing

LOS LUNAS, N.M. (AP) &mdash Jurors found a New Mexico man not guilty of a murder charge and deadlocked on two other felony charges in the 2018 rape and strangulation death of a 6-year-old girl.

The Albuquerque Journal reported that jurors at Leland Hust&rsquos trial deadlocked on the charges of child abuse resulting in death and criminal sexual penetration of a child. Prosecutors plan to seek a new trial on those charges.

Hust cried and appeared relieved after the verdict was read.

The verdict came nearly three years after Ariana &ldquoJade&rdquo Romeo was found dead and bloodied Oct. 11, 2018, in a bedroom of the Rio Rancho house she and her mother shared with Hust and seven others.

A forensic examination found evidence that she had been raped and strangled or smothered to death.

Prosecutor Jessica Martinez said she was disappointed with the verdict and planned to seek a new trial on the two charges on which the jury deadlocked.

Share this story

Building official was on roof of Surfside condominium only hours before collapse

(NEXSTAR) – The building official for Surfside, Florida, said he was on the roof of Champlain Towers South only 14 hours before it collapsed on Thursday.

Jim McGuinness said at an emergency meeting on Friday that he was inspecting work on the building’s roof anchors, which are used by window cleaning crews, the Palm Beach Post reported. McGuinness added that he saw nothing of concern at the time, nor any “inordinate amount of equipment” that might have raised any red flags.

Rescue efforts at Surfside condo collapse slowed by ‘very deep’ fire in rubble: ‘This is very frustrating’

SURFSIDE, Fla. (WFLA) – No progress has been made in finding any of the 159 people that went missing in the Champion Towers collapse in Surfside, according to officials in Miami-Dade County.

Rescue efforts have been hampered as a "very deep" fire has spread through the rubble, forcing crews to put it out to make further ventures into the wreckage.

$50 billion mistakenly deposited into Louisiana family’s bank account

BATON ROUGE, La. (WVLA) – A Baton Rouge family got the shock of a lifetime when an enormous amount of money was mistakenly deposited into their bank account.

Darren James said his wife called him frantic, telling him to have a seat before showing him that $50 billion dollars had been deposited in their account.

Evidence in Mexico serial killer's house suggests 17 victims

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Investigators digging under the house of a suspected serial killer on the outskirts of Mexico City said Saturday they have found 3,787 bone fragments so far, apparently belonging to 17 different victims.

Prosecutors in the State of Mexico, which borders Mexico City, suggested the grisly finds may not end there. In excavations carried out since May 17, authorities have dug up the floors of the house where the suspect lived. They now plan to extend the search to the soil beneath several other rooms he rented out on the same property.

ID cards and other possessions from people who disappeared years ago were found at the junk-filled home, suggesting the trail of killings may go back years.

The number of bone fragments found underneath concrete floors at the suspect's home would imply the corpses may have been hacked into tiny pieces. That could make sense: the suspect, identified by prosecutors only as “Andrés,” was formerly a butcher and in fact sectioned and filleted his last victim.

Video: Alleged serial killer Keith Gibson arrested in Delaware

“The bones fragments are being subjected to ‘lateralization’ studies, which include carefully cleaning each one, identifying what part of the body they are and then placing them in their anatomical position, providing a method for determining the approximate number of victims,” the office said in a statement.

“This analysis indicates that, up to now, the bone fragments found may possibly be those of 17 people,” the statement said.

Authorities have not released the full name of the 72-year-old suspect under Mexican laws protecting a suspect’s identity.

He has been ordered to stand trial in the killing of his last victim, a 34-year-old woman whose body he allegedly dismembered with a butcher’s hacksaw and knives on May 14.

He was caught, not as a result of keen investigative work, but because his most recent alleged victim was the wife of a police commander whom he knew personally. He was to have accompanied the victim on a shopping trip the day she disappeared, so her husband suspected him when she failed to return.

The police officer gained access to police surveillance cameras showing his wife had entered, but not left, the street where the suspect lived the policeman went to the home, confronted the suspect, and found his wife's hacked-up body inside.

But what investigators also found was women’s clothing, voter IDs and audio and video tapes suggesting he may have recorded his victims.

The format of the video tapes found at the house may suggest how far the killings went back: authorities found 28 8mm video tapes, which were discontinued around 2007, and 25 VHS cassettes, which largely fell out of favor by 2016.

However, outdated tech formats often remain in use in Mexico after they have been abandoned in other countries.

In total, prosecutors said they have found 91 photographs, many of the type people would have used to obtain ID cards eight cellphones, and women's jewelry and makeup.

Prosecutors said they are still examining the bone fragments to see if they can extract any DNA to identify the victims.

Detectives reveal disturbing evidence in Sasha Krause murder case

FARMINGTON, N.M. (KRQE) – Detectives investigating the murder of New Mexico school teacher Sasha Krause said they uncovered disturbing evidence in the case.

On a Friday in late February, a woman drove to the Sunset Crater Visitor Center, about 20 miles out of Flagstaff Arizona. She reported that she was gathering firewood and stumbled upon a body near her campsite. Deputies who went to investigate described a chilling scene. The found a woman’s body in the brush and in the investigative report, describe her as petite, dressed in a long, grey dress.

One deputy described it as “homemade,” and they can see her hair is pinned up in a bun. Investigators noted her hands were bound with tape and she’s not wearing underwear. They said she was shot in the back of the head. Investigators said they found drag marks near the body, and looked for shell casings but found none.

An autopsy later confirmed that the body belonged 27-year-old Sasha Krause who vanished from her small Mennonite community near Farmington, New Mexico a month earlier. She left home one cold night in January. She was headed to church to grab materials for a preschool class the next day but never returned.

The discovery would end weeks of searching for Krause and force investigators to switch their focus from missing to murder. “We have partnered with the Coconino Sheriff’s office and federal authorities in trying to identify and apprehend the individual responsible for Sasha’s kidnap and murder,” said San Juan County Sheriff, Shane Ferrari when announcing Krause had been found.
“We are fully committed to capturing this individual and bringing peace to the Krause family.”

People in New Mexico were shocked, while people in Arizona were wondering who Sasha Krause was, and how her body ended up there. Felicia Fonseca, the northern Arizona correspondent for the Associated Press lives in Flagstaff.

She said the town does not have an unusually high amount of murders or homicides so people could consider Krause’s murder unusual. “Tourists who have second homes up in Flagstaff come up for the summer. It’s a college town, it’s home to Northern Arizona University. It’s got a ski resort here.” Fonseca said.

Krause’s story caught Fonseca’s attention after reports that a missing New Mexico woman may have been found dead. “For the Associated Press, we were looking at is as a broader story because it covered so many states,” Fonseca said.

Fonseca found that Krause grew up in Texas. “She was 11 years old when she decided to become part of the Mennonite community and she later formally became a member of the church, a process in which you do some discernment and you commit to following Jesus Christ and there are some other steps involved in that,” said Fonseca.

“She became a school teacher in Grandview, Texas. She worked there for a number of years, and then a disagreement with another teacher led her to her post at the Mennonite community outside of Farmington, New Mexico, where she worked in a publishing ministry called Lamp and Light Publishers,” Fonseca said.

Krause spoke Spanish and was learning French to help with her ministry. “Some family friends that I have talked to have said she did things like make sure people who did not understand English could understand the church services. You know, sitting next to them and simultaneously translating the church services into Spanish for them,” Fonseca said.

Detectives in Arizona would now focus on finding Krause’s killer. Authorities say there was only one cell phone communicating with the same cell towers as Krause’s phone before hers dropped off. It belonged to an airman Mark Gooch stationed at Luke Air Force Base in Phoenix. Detectives got a search warrant and say they confirmed Gooch was at Sunset Crater around the time Krause went missing.

They also found a string of disturbing text messages in his phone where Gooch allegedly talks about surveilling Mennonites. In messages sent just days before Krause’s disappearance, Gooch is accused of writing:

“Hmm, same for some reason. Even this morning’s surveillance was boring.”

“A bunch of old people without much to live for.”

“Clearly not the people we grew up with. Sad to say another disappointment.”

That’s when detectives paid the 21-year-old a visit at the Luke Air Force Base to see what he could tell them about Sasha’s abduction and murder.

Related Coverage:

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


A REPORTER AT LARGE about highly-respected New Mexico archeologist Frank Cummings Hibben and evidence that the archeological find which established his career and established the existence of Sandia man, as the earliest human in North America, was a hoax. On May 6, 1940, Time reported news of an event that shook the world of archeology: Frank Hibben, a 30-year-old scholar with the University of New Mexico, in Albuquerque, had uncovered in a cave in New Mexico's Sandia Mountains evidence of the oldest human culture in the New World. At that time, the key to an archeological site lay in its stratigraphy--the layering of artifacts with such things as bone, charcoal, and sediments. After 5 years of excavation, Hibben reported that the stratigraphy of Sandia Cave had proved "outstanding." Tells how he found a layer in the cave floor which, by a terrific stroke of luck, had entombed the lower layer. Underneath the crust they found artifacts mingled with the bones of extinct animals, he recounted, and these artifacts belonged to the Folsom people, who thrived in the Southwest perhaps 10,000 years ago and hunted bison with a spearpoint that had a unique "fluted" shape. But Hibben and his colleagues kept digging. Below the Folsom level, they struck a smooth layer of yellow ochre, devoid of artifacts. What lay beneath this layer was fabulous: the remains of an entirely unknown culture, thousands of years older than Folsom. Hibben theorized that the Sandia Cave people, as he named them, lived at least 25,000 years ago and were big-game hunters. The University of New Mexico, which was already respected for its archeological work, became renowned, and Hibben himself became one of the country's most celebrated archeologists. Tells about his controversial reputation among other archeologists. Writer interviews archeologists James Hester Lewis Binford George Agogino C. Vance Haynes, Jr., Dominique E. Stevens, Dr. Bruce Bradley, James B. Griffin, Jim Judge, Robert York, David Meltzer, Lewis Binford, E. James Dixon, Tony Baker, Dennis Stanford, Wesley Bliss, and Richard S. MacNeish.

Documents show suspect in murder of Haven Trevino had history of domestic violence

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - New court documents show the man suspected of murdering a Lubbock woman on Thursday, before shooting himself, had a history of domestic violence.

Police say 20-year-old Isaiah Mesa fatally shot 19-year-old Haven Trevino in the Orlando’s parking lot at 6941 Indiana Ave, which is where Trevino worked.

After the shooting, investigators say Mesa drove to St. Joseph’s Catholic Church at 102 N Ave P. It was there he shot himself. He survived but remains hospitalized with life-threatening injuries.

Allegations in the documents included instances in which Mesa would physically abuse Trevino and their son, who is almost 2-years-old.

“She was changing her circumstances to have a better life for herself and for her son and she made some decisions that didn’t turn out the best way in the beginning of her son’s life,” said Haven’s cousin, Hannah Yunker.

“She’s the person that always had your back, very caring, loyal ‚and funny. She had the persona to her that made everyone want to be near her,” said Amiya Hernandez, Haven’s cousin.

A CPS affidavit shows Mesa, who lives in Dallas, had to be supervised while the child was in his care.

The first recorded instance was in May of 2020, when Mesa allegedly choked Trevino on Mother’s Day. According to the CPS affidavit, Mesa thought Trevino was dead and threw water on her to wake her up.

The next week, it was reported Mesa threw liquor on Trevino and pinned her against a wall so she could not call for help. After Trevino was able to get free, a neighbor held the child, while she gathered her things so she could get away from Mesa.

Trevino never did call the police, according to the affidavit.

She also told CPS Mesa would hit the child while she was away. According to the documents, she told CPS Mesa gave the child a black eye on many occasions.

The next month, CPS reported Mesa drove to where Trevino was staying and followed her as she drove to a store with the child. Mesa then got out of the car and punched the mirror of Trevino’s car, according to the affidavit.

Later on, in early-October, Mesa gave Trevino a black eye during a fight and poured bleach over her.

While the couple was fighting, Mesa’s mother slipped and fell on the bleach as she was holding the child. That caused chemical burns on the child.

In October, both Mesa and Trevino moved to Dallas five days later, Trevino and the child moved back to Lubbock to live with her great aunt and uncle, according to the documents.

A few days later, Trevino told CPS her vehicle was vandalized. She suspected it was Mesa because she was ignoring his phone calls.

Police say, just more than a week later Mesa shot Trevino in the parking lot of her workplace.

Court documents also show Mesa had a criminal history. Among past charges were theft, evading arrest, aggravated robbery, unlawful carrying of a weapon and breaking juvenile probation all instances in which charges were dropped.

However, he was charged, in August of 2019 with tampering with evidence and possession of marijuana.

Lubbock PD confirmed Friday afternoon that Mesa died from his injuries. The child has been placed in the care of family. No funeral arrangements for Trevino have been announced.

'We think it’s unfair that her life was taken from her too soon," said Haven’s aunt, Kim Hernandez.

Women’s Protective Services communications manager, Steve Garcia, told KCBD they had 3,700 women and children utilize their services in 2019.

“You know, one of the things that a lot of people don’t know is we have a program for teenagers. for school age kids and it’s called ‘Expect Respect’ and it’s a whole curriculum designed to teach what is healthy versus what is abusive.”

If you’re in a domestic violence situation, you can get help locally from Women’s Protective Services at 1-806-747-6491 or call the National Hotline at 1-800-736-6491.

For those outside of the Lubbock region, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY).

430,000-year-old skull suggests murder is an ‘ancient human behavior’

Does this ancient skull show evidence of the first known hominid murder?

It’s a whodunit that dates back 430,000 years.

Deep in a cave in northern Spain, archaeologists have uncovered fragments of a skull with protruding eyebrow ridges and a smaller brain area than you would find in a modern-day human. Researchers say it belongs to an early human relative that predates even the Neanderthals.

It took scientists years to reconstruct the ancient cranium from 52 bits of bone, each about the size of a quarter. But when they finally did, they noticed something strange: The skull had two holes just left of the center of the forehead.

The pattern of fractures revealed that the bone broke while still enmeshed in living tissue. It was also clear the victim, probably a male in his early 20s, could not have survived long after the blows were inflicted.

The two wounds were almost identical, and could not have been caused by a fall, an attack by a predator or an accidental collision with a tree or rock, the archaeologists said. And so they came to a dark conclusion: This ancient skull is evidence of the earliest known murder among our ancestors.

The findings, published this week in the journal PLOS One, suggest that interpersonal violence may be baked into the human experience.

“One implication of the study is that murder is a very ancient human behavior,” said Rolf Quam, a paleoanthropologist at Binghamton University in New York who worked on the study.

The pieces of bone that make up what the team calls “Cranium 17” were unearthed over the course of several years at an underground cave known as Sima de los Huesos, or the “Pit of Bones.”

Using forensic techniques similar to those on “CSI,” they determined that the victim was alive when the attack occurred because the fractures on the forehead were characterized by oblique angles and smooth surfaces. Fractures that occur after death have right angles and jagged surfaces because the bone has started to dry out.

Based on the impact trajectories, the researchers believe the victim was facing his assailant when the violence occurred.

“We don’t know whether it is face-to-face combat or an ambush,” said Quam. “What we can definitely say is it is intentional.”

The authors are not sure what type of weapon was used, but a wooden spear or stone hand-ax are likely candidates, the researchers said. Metal tools had not yet been invented.

“We are pretty sure that these two fractures are the result of two repeated blows with the same implement,” Quam said. “And that implies a clear intent to kill.”

There is evidence of cannibalism among early humans dating back 900,000 years, but evidence of murder has been harder to find.

Researchers have previously found a 25,000-year-old Homo sapien fossil from the Russian plains with a puncture wound on one of the vertebrae. That wound surely would have been fatal, but it might have been the result of a hunting accident rather than willful violence.

There’s also a Neanderthal that lived 75,000 to 100,000 years ago in present-day Iraq. This individual had a life-threatening puncture wound to one of the ribs, but it looks like it had started to heal. That suggests the Neanderthal did not die immediately from this injury.

Cranium 17 was discovered at the bottom of a vertical shaft that lies about 0.3 of a mile from the entrance to the underground cave system. The only way to enter the cavern was by falling 45 feet through a hole in the floor.

The archaeologists say it is unlikely that any of the 28 early humans who wound up at the bottom of the shaft got there by accident. And since the victim could not have sustained the lethal injuries in the cavern, he must have been thrown into the pit after death — perhaps as an early form of burial.

Clues about how our earliest ancestors lived are rare, which is why experts say this discovery is so provocative.

“Anthropologists are always asking what makes us human, and are humans inherently violent?” said Danielle Kurin, a forensic anthropologist at UC Santa Barbara who was not involved in the research. “This study contributes to that debate by suggesting intentional assault between two people has deep roots in our hominid human history.”

Lead author Nohemi Sala of the Complutense University of Madrid is still looking for evidence that some of the other 27 hominids in the pit may have been murdered as well. She has not turned up anything yet.

Get our free Coronavirus Today newsletter

Sign up for the latest news, best stories and what they mean for you, plus answers to your questions.

You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.

Deborah Netburn is a features writer at the Los Angeles Times. She joined the paper in 2006 and has covered entertainment, home and garden, national news, technology and most recently, science.

Top 10 Unsolved New Mexico Mysteries

Roswell has been looking for answers since something large, round, and made of a metallic substance crashed in the desert outside of town on July 2, 1947. The government initially notified the press that a "flying disc" crashed there, but soon corrected the story to say the debris was from a weather balloon. We may never know what really crashed there, but its still a topic of vehement debate today.

2. Geronimo&aposs Skull

Some say Yale University’s Skull and Bones Society stole Geronimo’s skull from the Apache chief’s grave at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and are currently housing it in their New Haven, Connecticut lair. One of Geronimo’s grandsons, Harlyn Geronimo, filed a lawsuit in 2009 demanding the bones be returned to their rightful resting place in New Mexico. Does the secret society really possess Geronimo’s skull? Only Geronimo’s spirit may ever know.

3. Taos Hum

A small number of Taos residents claim to be plagued by a weird phenomenon𠅊 relentless humming noise that has been compared to a 𠇍iesel engine idling in the distance.” Known as the Taos Hum, the unusual sound has foiled investigators from Los Alamos National Laboratory and the Phillips Laboratory at Albuquerque’s Kirtland Air Force Base who have been unable to identify its cause even today.

The Disappearance Of Girly Chew Hossencofft: A Con Man, A Fashion Designer, UFOs, And A Ninja Sword

A prosecutor alleged that Linda Henning ate Girly Chew's flesh. Her body remains missing to this day.

Murders A-Z is a collection of true crime stories that take an in-depth look at both little-known and famous murders throughout history.

The disappearance of Girly Chew Hossencofft is a tale that includes con men, fashion designers, UFO’s, spousal abuse and conspiracy theories about otherworldly aliens that secretly rule the Earth. Adding to the mystery of her presumed murder is the fact that her body has never been found. Fortunately, a jury didn’t need a body to send her killers, Diazien Hossencofft and Linda Henning, to prison, though people are still wondering how Henning, an attractive and successful businesswoman, fell under Diazien’s murderous spell.

Linda Henning was born on October 10th, 1953 and grew up in Hollywood, California. When she was 11-years-old, her father left her mother, a wound many feel she tried to salve with a succession of boyfriends on whom she pinned unrealistic expectations and deep emotional needs. Author Mark Horner, who wrote the 2014 book ‘September Sacrifice’ about Girly Chew’s disappearance, told Oxygen’s “Snapped”: “This is a person who according to her own mother would believe the moon was made out of cheese if a boy had said it.”

After high school, Henning supported herself as a model and eventually began designing women’s apparel. Her clothing line did well and in the late ‘80s she moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico. By 1999, Henning’s business was flourishing, she owned a beautiful home and was engaged to be married. In her free time she pursued such regional interests as Southwestern art and UFO’s. As friend Peter Ekberg told “Snapped,” “This area is known for UFO activity and stuff. You’ve got Roswell (where aliens allegedly crash landed in 1947), and Area 51 (where alien corpses are allegedly stored) is not too far away.”

According to CNN, in the summer of 1999, Henning met Diazien Hossencofft at a seminar led by conspiracy theorist David Icke. Among Icke’s beliefs is that the world is controlled and manipulated by an “unseen” global network, who he has previously identified as inter-dimensional, pedophiliac, shape-shifting reptilians that include most of the world’s ruling elite—from George Soros to the British Royal Family.

Hossencofft told Henning he was a doctor and former member of the C.I.A. He made his money treating rich women by giving them vitamin injections that he said would stop the aging process and in some cases even cure cancer. According to court documents, he also claimed to be an alien and to be immortal. In reality, he was a 34-year-old con man from Houston, Texas, named Armand Chavez. As author Mark Horner told “Snapped,” “Hossencofft was absolutely, one hundred percent, a fraud.”

Two weeks after meeting, Henning dumped her fiancé and began a romantic relationship with Hossencofft, telling friends they were going to be married. Unfortunately, Hossencofft was already married at the time to 36-year-old Girly Chew Hossencofft. Girly grew up in Malaysia and met Diazien while on vacation in the United States. They were married in 1992 and moved to Albuquerque, where she worked as a teller with the Bank of America. According to Girly’s co-workers, she had been a victim of domestic abuse. In fact, Horner told “Snapped” that “there were at least two reported episodes of domestic violence to the Albuquerque Police Department involving Girly Chew Hossencofft and Diazien Hossencofft.” After years of spousal abuse and finding out that Diazien was a fraud, Girly movied out of their home and filed for divorce in February 1999.

After filing for divorce, Diazien repeatedly threatened Girly. She told her friends and employers she was in fear for her safety. According to Court TV, she contacted the F.B.I. and told them to investigate her husband should anything happen to her. She was also planning on exposing his various crimes.

Meanwhile, Linda Henning’s friends were concerned about her behavior after falling under Diazien’s spell. Her ex-fiancé told mutual friend Stephen Zachary she had stopped changing her clothes and bathing and that he thought she had “some chemical imbalance.” Henning pushed her friends to use Hossencofft’s miracle treatments and told them he was a 1,000-year-old alien who had promised her great powers. “The reptile aliens were going to be coming to the earth and particular individuals would be their local emissaries. She was going to be the reptile queen,” a private investigator told “Snapped.”

On the evening of September 9, 1999, Girly Chew Hossencofft left work and was never seen again. Her supervisor reported her missing to police the next day when she failed to come to work. Detectives went to her apartment where they found bleach stains on the carpet and wet spots where it had been cleaned. But they hadn’t cleaned it enough. “There were found these seven spots of blood,” private investigator David Pfeffer told “Snapped.” That same day, on a stretch of highway 120 miles south of Albuquerque a workman found a tarp, a woman’s blouse, shorts, underwear, and pieces of duct tape and gauze, all smeared with blood and containing strands of hair.

When police went to question Diazien Hossencofft they found his front door open and his house empty of people and belongings. On the afternoon of September 12th, 1999, authorities questioned Linda Henning, who claimed she didn’t know Hossencofft’s whereabouts and that she didn’t expect to see him again. When asked about his wife Girly, Henning said they had never met.

Detectives eventually tracked Diazien to Charleston, South Carolina, where he was staying with a woman named Cheryl Culp. Like Henning, she believed that she and Hossencofft were to be married. He denied any knowledge of his wife’s whereabouts and was extradited back to New Mexico.

When the tests results came back on the evidence found at Girly’s apartment and along the highway, police where surprised with what they found. As expected, Girly’s blood and hair was all over them, but there was another person’s DNA on the items and it wasn’t Diazien Hossencofft’s. It was Linda Henning’s. “There were long strands of hair that were found in the tarp that were Linda’s. Girly’s blood of course was found in her apartment, but Linda’s blood was found there too,” a journalist told “Snapped.”

Police executed a search warrant on Henning’s home and a found a Japanese ninja sword hidden in the ceiling of her garage. Receipts showed that Diazien Hossencofft had purchased it on the day of Girly’s disappearance. They also found a shotgun and a .22 Baretta handgun. Detectives discovered Linda had been lying when she claimed to have never met Girly. Bank of America records showed that Linda had banked there and on at least one occasion, and the missing woman had been her teller. October 29, police arrested Linda Henning for perjury and three weeks later, on November 17, she and Diazien Hossencofft were indicted for first-degree murder.

In January 14, 2002, Diazien Hossencofft surprised prosecutors by pleading guilty to planning the murder of Girly Chew Hossencofft. He was sentenced to life in prison plus 60 years, according to the Plainview Daily Herald, and as part of his plea deal was allowed to serve his sentence out of state in Wyoming. Hossencofft, however, denied taking part in the actual murder itself and said he did not know where to find his wife’s remains.

According to Court TV on CNN, a prosecutor alleged that Linda had eaten Girly’s flesh. “During the course of the case's investigation, it was reported by more than one individual that the defendant had made statements that she had actually consumed the flesh of Girly Chew Hossencofft and that as a consequence her remains and body would never be recovered by authorities," the prosecutor wrote in a memorandum.

Linda Henning’s murder trial began on October 1, 2002, and was truly a historic case. “Linda was the first woman in New Mexico history, since statehood, that would have faced the death penalty,” a journalist told “Snapped.” While the prosecution’s case relied on forensic evidence, Henning’s defense relied on a sole witness Diazien Hossencofft. Though he denied Henning’s involvement in the murder and claimed that he planted her blood at the crime scene, the testimony of a known con artist and convicted killer held little sway over the jury. As Stephen Zachary told “Snapped,” “A first day law student - not a first year, a first day law student - would never use a liar as the crux of someone’s defense, never.”

On October 25, 2002, a jury found Linda Henning guilty of first-degree felony murder, kidnapping, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, perjury, criminal solicitation, and tampering with evidence. She escaped the death penalty and instead was sentenced to 73 and a half years in prison. In 2010, the New Mexico Supreme Court overturned her perjury convictions, but upheld her convictions and sentence.

The body of Girly Chew Hossencofft remains missing to this day.

[Photo of Girly Chew: Oxygen's "Snapped"]

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content.

Watch the video: Βραδινό Δελτίο. Βίντεο Ντοκουμέντο: Εισβολή ληστών σε σπίτι ηλικιωμένου στο Δήλεσι. 16102021 (June 2022).


  1. Blaed

    A completely coincidental coincidence

  2. Kagajora

    I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM.

  3. Rayhourne

    Should you tell it - a lie.

  4. Wadsworth

    How it can be defined?

  5. Win

    I'm sorry, but I think you are wrong. I'm sure. I propose to discuss it. Email me at PM.

  6. Dayle

    I am sorry, that has interfered... I here recently.But this theme is very close to me. Is ready to help.

  7. Iskinder

    Please review your message

  8. Deverell

    I absolutely agree with you. I think this is a very good idea. I completely agree with you.

Write a message